Challenge Preparatory Charter School (“Challenge Prep”) is a community-based public charter school that was founded in 2010 to serve students and families in the Far Rockaway section of Queens, New York. We currently serve grades K-5 and are in the midst of expanding to grades K-8 by the 2018-19 school year. We are seeking a Teaching Assistant for 6th Grade ELA who is eager to help grow the school’s curriculum, develop innovative instructional techniques, and accelerate learning for our middle school students so they are prepared for college-preparatory curricula when they reach high school. Successful candidates will demonstrate passion and commitment both within their classrooms and among the broader community as the “challenge” at Challenge Prep is to provide our students with a world-class education and serve as a beacon for excellence throughout the community.
EDUCATIONAL CULTURE AT CHALLENGE PREP
Our school’s mission is to cultivate the intellectual, social, emotional and ethical development of our students and prepare them for long-term success both inside and beyond the classroom. We aim to accomplish this mission by building a culture among students, faculty, staff, parents and community members that conveys excitement about learning, fosters creativity and collaboration, and celebrates success.
All members of the Challenge Prep community, including teachers, staff and school leadership:
- Share a common understanding of what quality teaching looks like by adopting the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
- Believe that how children learn is as important as what they learn, and that academic success is inextricably tied to building social-emotional competencies.
- Take full responsibility for the academic progress of our students and incorporate innovative methods of evaluating the effectiveness of faculty, staff, and school leadership across all grade levels and program areas.
- Conduct annual professional evaluations that use multiple measures to determine effectiveness, including classroom observations and student outcomes.
- Provide intensive supports for new teachers to help ensure their success.
- Provide instructional and classroom support to the Grade 6 ELA teacher
- Collaborate with Grade 6 ELA teacher to create a classroom community that maintains high academic and social expectations for students.
- Tutor students individually and in groups to reinforce mathematics lessons and concepts
- Supervise students
- Organize and maintain the classroom, including ordering supplies and decorating the classroom
- Other duties as assigned
Associate’s Degree, or higher degree.
Experience working with diverse populations of students, parents and families is preferred