7TH GRADE Math TEACHER - APPLY
Challenge Preparatory Charter School (“Challenge Prep”) is a community-based public charter school that was founded in 2010 to serve students and families in the Far Rockaway section of Queens, New York. We currently serve grades K-5 and are in the midst of expanding to grades K-8 by the 2018-19 school year. We are seeking a 7th grade Math teacher who is eager to help grow the school’s curriculum, develop innovative instructional techniques, and accelerate learning for our middle school students so they are prepared for college-preparatory curricula when they reach high school. Successful candidates will demonstrate passion and commitment both within their classrooms and among the broader community as the “challenge” at Challenge Prep is to provide our students with a world-class education and serve as a beacon for excellence throughout the community.
EDUCATIONAL CULTURE AT CHALLENGE PREP
Our school’s mission is to cultivate the intellectual, social, emotional and ethical development of our students and prepare them for long-term success both inside and beyond the classroom. We aim to accomplish this mission by building a culture among students, faculty, staff, parents and community members that conveys excitement about learning, fosters creativity and collaboration, and celebrates success.
All members of the Challenge Prep community, including teachers, staff and school leadership:
- Share a common understanding of what quality teaching looks like by adopting the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
- Believe that how children learn is as important as what they learn, and that academic success is inextricably tied to building social-emotional competencies.
- Take full responsibility for the academic progress of our students and incorporate innovative methods of evaluating the effectiveness of faculty, staff, and school leadership across all grade levels and program areas.
- Conduct annual professional evaluations that use multiple measures to determine effectiveness, including classroom observations and student outcomes.
- Provide intensive supports for new teachers to help ensure their success.
- Deliver instruction in grade 7 math that it is aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and school-wide Essential Questions.
- Use a problem-solving approach to math instruction that supports challenge-based learning.
- Know and use the Danielson Aligned Lesson Plan Template to develop lesson plans.
- Know and use the mini-lesson format for lesson plans.
- Prepare, share and refine lesson plans with peer educators through professional learning communities to help ensure rigor and alignment within and across grade levels.
- Use formal and informal assessment data to personalize and accelerate learning for all students.
- Differentiate instruction for all students especially for students with special needs.
- Create and maintain a warm and inclusive classroom environment.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with students and their families, focusing on how to align school and home life around continued student growth and success.
- Engage in and support new initiatives, including the use of blended learning, project-based learning and flipped classrooms.
- Master’s degree (preferred) and state certification in middle school math (7-12 preference).
- Demonstrated ability to teach high levels of math conceptualization.
- Demonstrated ability to create safe, supportive and challenging classroom environments.
- Passion and commitment to teaching students from underserved communities and closing achievement gaps.
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious learning goals for students.
- Eagerness to share and collaborate with peers on continuously improving teaching and learning.
- Desire for continuous professional growth and development.