Middle School Library Media Specialist - APPLY
Challenge Preparatory Charter School (“Challenge Prep”) is a community-based public charter school that was founded in 2010 to serve students and families in the Far Rockaway section of Queens, New York. We currently serve grades K-5 and are in the midst of expanding to grades K-8 by the 2018-19 school year. We are seeking a Middle School Library Media Specialist who is eager to help grow the school’s curriculum, develop innovative instructional techniques, and accelerate learning for our middle school students so they are prepared for college-preparatory curricula when they reach high school. Successful candidates will demonstrate passion and commitment both within their classrooms and among the broader community as the “challenge” at Challenge Prep is to provide our students with a world-class education and serve as a beacon for excellence throughout the community.
EDUCATIONAL CULTURE AT CHALLENGE PREP
Our school’s mission is to cultivate the intellectual, social, emotional and ethical development of our students and prepare them for long-term success both inside and beyond the classroom. We aim to accomplish this mission by building a culture among students, faculty, staff, parents and community members that conveys excitement about learning, fosters creativity and collaboration, and celebrates success.
All members of the Challenge Prep community, including teachers, staff and school leadership:
- Share a common understanding of what quality teaching looks like by adopting the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
- Believe that how children learn is as important as what they learn, and that academic success is inextricably tied to building social-emotional competencies.
- Take full responsibility for the academic progress of our students and incorporate innovative methods of evaluating the effectiveness of faculty, staff, and school leadership across all grade levels and program areas.
- Conduct annual professional evaluations that use multiple measures to determine effectiveness, including classroom observations and student outcomes.
- Provide intensive supports for new teachers to help ensure their success.
To provide direct student instruction in coordination with subject area faculty in all disciplines regarding inquiry and research, using online databases and appropriately integrated curricular resources ensuring that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information.
To contribute to and support the school’s identification and implementation of school-wide essential questions which is at the core of the school’s commitment to students being engaged in problem-based and interdisciplinary learning.
To instill a love of learning in all students and ensure equitable access to information.
To collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement lessons and units of instruction, and assess student learning and instructional effectiveness.
To provide the leadership with the expertise necessary to ensure that the school library media program (SLMP) is aligned with the mission, goals, and objectives of the school, and is an integral component of the learning/instructional program.
- NYS Common Branch Certification (Grade 7) and NYS Content Specialist 7-12 Certification, or
- NYS Library Media Specialist Certification
- Minimum of two-years teaching in a middle school as a teacher or in other relevant educational positions (e.g. Teach for America corps members), preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher degree.
- Demonstrated and successful record of prior employment in diverse educational environments is preferred.
- Experience with and/or understanding of blended learning preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with various forms of assessments and relevant technologies.
- Experience working with diverse populations of students, parents and families is preferred.
Please email to: MSCareers@ChallengeCharterSchools.org
- A cover letter to the Middle School Search Team explaining why you would be an excellent Library Media Specialist.
- A copy of your current resume. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Challenge Preparatory Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Compensation is competitive. Challenge Charter Schools offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.