6th grade Science teacher - APPLY
Challenge Preparatory Charter School (“Challenge Prep”) is a community-based public charter school that was founded in 2010 to serve students and families in the Far Rockaway section of Queens, New York. We currently serve grades K-5 and are in the midst of expanding to grades K-8 by the 2018-19 school year. We are seeking a 6th grade Science teacher who is eager to help grow the school’s curriculum, develop innovative instructional techniques, and accelerate learning for our middle school students so they are prepared for college-preparatory curricula when they reach high school. Successful candidates will demonstrate passion and commitment both within their classrooms and among the broader community as the “challenge” at Challenge Prep is to provide our students with a world-class education and serve as a beacon for excellence throughout the community.
Educational Culture at Challenge Prep
Our school’s mission is to cultivate the intellectual, social, emotional and ethical development of our students and prepare them for long-term success both inside and beyond the classroom. We aim to accomplish this mission by building a culture among students, faculty, staff, parents and community members that conveys excitement about learning, fosters creativity and collaboration, and celebrates success.
All members of the Challenge Prep community, including teachers, staff and school leadership:
- Share a common understanding of what quality teaching looks like by adopting the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
- Believe that how children learn is as important as what they learn, and that academic success is inextricably tied to building social-emotional competencies.
- Take full responsibility for the academic progress of our students and incorporate innovative methods of evaluating the effectiveness of faculty, staff, and school leadership across all grade levels and program areas.
- Conduct annual professional evaluations that use multiple measures to determine effectiveness, including classroom observations and student outcomes.
- Provide intensive supports for new teachers to help ensure their success.
- Develop effective, Common Core, NYS standards aligned lessons that support student learning and achievement.
- Plan purposefully to provide students with opportunities for constructing meaning and developing understandings of new concepts.
- Utilize developmentally appropriate and rigorous curricula and instructional materials.
- Present students with new ideas and concepts through a variety of strategies that inspire and guide them to explore, express and uncover new ideas.
- Collect and analyze qualitative and quantitative student data gathered through the use of a variety of assessments.
- Reflect regularly on data from student assessments independently and with colleagues, administration, or students’ families in order to inform instructional methods, modify practices and improve student learning.
- Collaborate with other content area and special teachers in designing and teaching integrated lessons.
- Collaborate with special education teachers to execute IEPs for students with special needs.
- Build relationships with families of Challenge Prep students through frequent communication about students’ progress.
- Create a classroom community that maintains high academic and social expectations for students.
- Actively work to improve instructional practice, to acquire and enhance the skills and knowledge necessary to deliver excellent instruction.
- NYS Common Branch Certification (Grade 7) and NYS Content Specialist 7-12 Certification
- Minimum of two-years teaching in a middle school as a teacher or in other relevant educational positions (e.g. Teach for America corps members) preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or higher degree.
- Demonstrated and successful record of prior employment in diverse educational environments is preferred.
- Experience with and/or understanding of blended learning preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with various forms of assessments and relevant technologies.
- Experience working with diverse populations of students, parents and families is preferred.
Please email to: MSCareers@ChallengeCharterSchools.org
- A cover letter to the Middle School Search Team explaining why you would be an excellent 6th Grade Teacher.
- A copy of your current resume. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Challenge Preparatory Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
Compensation is competitive. Challenge Charter Schools offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.