Challenge Preparatory Charter School (“Challenge Prep”) is a community-based public charter school that was founded in 2010 to serve students and families in the Far Rockaway section of Queens, New York. We currently serve grades K-5 and are in the midst of expanding to grades K-8 by the 2018-19 school year. We are seeking a Middle School Physical Education and Health teacher who is eager to help grow the school’s curriculum, develop innovative instructional techniques, and accelerate learning for our middle school students so they are prepared for college-preparatory curricula when they reach high school. Successful candidates will demonstrate passion and commitment both within their classrooms and among the broader community as the “challenge” at Challenge Prep is to provide our students with a world-class education and serve as a beacon for excellence throughout the community.
EDUCATIONAL CULTURE AT CHALLENGE PREP
Our school’s mission is to cultivate the intellectual, social, emotional and ethical development of our students and prepare them for long-term success both inside and beyond the classroom. We aim to accomplish this mission by building a culture among students, faculty, staff, parents and community members that conveys excitement about learning, fosters creativity and collaboration, and celebrates success.
All members of the Challenge Prep community, including teachers, staff and school leadership:
- Share a common understanding of what quality teaching looks like by adopting the Danielson Framework for Teaching.
- Believe that how children learn is as important as what they learn, and that academic success is inextricably tied to building social-emotional competencies.
- Take full responsibility for the academic progress of our students and incorporate innovative methods of evaluating the effectiveness of faculty, staff, and school leadership across all grade levels and program areas.
- Conduct annual professional evaluations that use multiple measures to determine effectiveness, including classroom observations and student outcomes.
- Provide intensive supports for new teachers to help ensure their success.
- Plan and implement the physical education and health curriculum for the Middle School in collaboration with the various professional learning communities
- Develop and implement assessments in physical education, health, and wellness
- Confer with parents or guardians, teachers, and school administration to report on student progress
- Demonstrate effective class management
- Comply with school operational procedures
- High degree of communication through a variety of mediums with parents and students
- Other duties as assigned
Qualification, Skills, and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelors and/or Masters (earned or in progress) in Physical Education/Health Education from an accredited institution and NYSED dual certification in PE/Health Education (earned or in progress).
- Experience in teaching middle school health and physical education.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong motivational skills.
- Extensive knowledge of physical fitness, sports, and wellness for middle school students.
- Physical ability to demonstrate athletic activities.